Ceramic vase, decorated in green glaze with iridescent tones that turn to metallic blue on the back; on the front is a gilded rose branch with two flowers containing red tones, on the back is a decoration with a bouquet of flowers also in gold; on the inside, a pouring of metallic red glaze on the neck covers the more homogeneous white. Under the vase in a white window is the signature ‘MELANDRI 1939* XVII’, On the rim of the vase and in the base there are two small chips.
Dimensions: cm. 50 height, cm.20 diameter
Pietro Melandri (1885-1976) was a ceramist from Faenza who succeeded in expressing great modernity in his creations also thanks to his collaboration with the best artists and architects of the first decades of the 20th century. After opening and closing several businesses, in collaboration with other ceramists, he opened a house-atelier in 1932 and dedicated himself to the execution of experimental and innovative ceramics, while maintaining working collaborations with, for example, Giò Ponti and Melchiorre Bega. During these years, he sent his works to international exhibitions, and in 1937, he was judged the most innovative of the Italian ceramists at the Universal Exhibition in Paris.
The most interesting comparison for us is the vase with which he won first prize in the 1938 National Ceramic Competition in Faenza. The vase that won the prize is catalogued in the archives as Black Vase with Golden Rose.
E’ piuttosto evidente come il vaso qui in esame sia una elaborazione poco più tarda nella forma e nei colori del prototipo esposto a Faenza nel giugno del 1938.
Premio Faenza (https://premiofaenza.micfaenza.org/)