Six-light chandelier in gilded bronze, it has a central baluster culminating in a pine cone and decorated with leaf motifs and laurel branches; in the lower part it is decorated with a bunch of grapes. From the central structure depart six arms worked with leafy volutes, bearing as many lights. The supports, also in gilded bronze, are worked to emulate a love knot in the upper part, whose ribbons descend like draperies to support the chandelier.
Signed under the arms “O.Lelièvre sculptor”, “Susse fondeur éditeur, Paris”.
Dimensions: 86 x 66 x 44 cm ( 31,5 x 26 x 17,32 in )
The chandelier belongs to the production designed by Octave Georges Lelièvre and cast by the founding company of the Susse brothers in Paris.
The Susse foundry began its activity in 1839, under the direction of the brothers Nicolas and Victor, but it was particularly prosperous during the era of Napoleon III when, by now passed to his successor Albert Susse, it began close and often exclusive collaborations with important artists. , who sign the licensed works.
Octave Lelièvre was in fact a sculptor, favorite pupil of Théodore Eugène Victor Barrau and his prolific collaboration with one of the most important Parisian founding companies is testified by various bronze articles, marked with his signature and that of the Susse brothers.
Very close to our Napoleon III-style chandelier is a pair of candlesticks recently passed onto the antiques market (Sotheby’s, New York, 15 October 2015, lot. in the overlying pine cone and in the bunch of grapes that adorn the lower part, but also the leafy volutes that make up the candle-holding arms find specific findings.